Thursday, February 5, 2009

Matthew 24

"Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes." (Matthew 24:46)

I don't profess to know much about the end times. I have been all over the spectrum in beliefs, pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib, no rapture, millennial, amillennial; you name it and at some point I've probably considered it. There are lots of people out there declaring lots of things, and though I never advocate throwing our hands up and quiting, I realize that coming to a hard and fast answer to the events surrounding Christ's return is kind of like living in OT times trying to discern which texts of the OT spoke about a first coming and which talked about His second coming, or even realizing there were to be two comings! It isn't easy and much is speculation.

But with that said, there are still many things we can hold on to as the end nears. I am not convinced that Christ will return during my lifetime. Every generation has seemed to think that about their own time. I believe that is in part due to human egocentricity which believes that they are going to be a part of that wild moment. But one thing I do know; I want to be found faithful if and when He comes.

I want to be the servant which this verse above talks about. I want to faithfully do my part in passing on the faith to the next generation of believers. I want to raise my children in a biblical fashion. I want to love my wife in a way that teaches the world about our relationship with Christ. I want to serve in ministry for a cause greater than self-gain, for a God who is greater than all gain.

Some ignore spiritual matters and go off to eat, drink, and be marry. I fear for their souls on that day, for I at least know that day will come sooner or later. But I also fear for those who are so end-times focused that they disengage the world now and count it lost to the pending return of Christ. Nowhere in Scripture are we called to stop and wait. We are called to serve through the last moments. That means evangelism is key (indeed Matt 24:14); discipleship is essential; and personal growth and intimacy with Christ crucial.

When the deadline is too far out, many of us have difficulty focusing on the task. How are you doing today following after Christ? Are there too many worldly deadlines pressing you that you will once again put Christ on the back burner? Or if today were the day, would you be found faithful?

That is my prayer. Keep me faithful Lord, to the very end. Let me not waste the moments granted to me.

No comments: