Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Matthew 23

For me, one of the most convicting realities is how closely my faith walk sometimes looks and feels like the Pharisees. I have been in church long enough to know the rules, expectations, salutations, Bible answers, and humble pretenses. And I am not alone. Don't we see it every week? People walk in for a church service and magically transform into "Super-Christian." They may have been arguing in the car as they pulled into the parking lot, but then wondrously the doors of the car swing open to reveal a seemingly happy God-fearing family or individual.

The reality is that people are only able to see what we let them see for as long as we let them see it. A one-hour Sunday school class (where we can fade into the backdrop or answers with spiritual responses) or a one-hour worship service (where we are surround by others seeking to manage the same positive Christian hora, hoping no one figures them out either) have caused Christianity to become so ritualistic and fake that honesty and reality can remain permanently checked at the front door week after week, year after year.

Jesus attacks the Pharisees for their hypocrisy. They appear to live one way on the outside, but have a totally different reality on the inside. But I stop and think about my life too. How many people would I want listening to the thoughts going through my head? How many would I want knowing my warts and flaws? It often isn't the most pretty picture going on inside my heart and mind, yet, I know how to act when I show up at church. Those things stay masterfully hidden from sight and people praise me for my strong faith and Christian commitment.

Christ says, "BE REAL." Those are scary words. I guarantee the Pharisees tired trying to keep up their image. Many of us have reached that point, sometimes over and over. It is the reason so many eventually leave the church, they are too disgusted with the hypocrisy, not only that they perceive in others, but also the hypocrisy of the image they try to maintain themselves fully cognizant of their fatal false-advertising.

What are we doing trying to deceive others into thinking better of ourselves? It is answered in that we too often find our worth in others opinions. We set up an image that we believe others will like and respect. Whatever crowd we seek to please determines the behavior, attire, and speech necessary. We want a sense of belonging and fear rejection. We want others to think highly of us for the sake of our self-esteem.

How does Christ end this litany of rebukes upon the pharisees, scribes, and hypocrites? He says, "Come to me. How often I have wanted to gather you together and hold you like a hen does her chicks!" What an amazing conclusion! After a stinging judgment, He who know all of us, inside and out, wart and flaws, He doesn't reject us. He has ascribed us worth. He has asked for humility and venerability and promised His arms extended when we come.

Our worth is found in His great love and affection. Our inner turmoil can be laid bear and healing can begin. Transformation begins on the inside, not the outside. That was Jesus' point. The Pharisees tried so hard to use religion to bind them back to God from the outside pushing it in as far as it could go. I have done the same. But thankfully, I have also fallen on Christ and He has taken those dead bones and begun to give them new life. And I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in me will bring it to completion on the day of Christ Jesus. For it is God who works in me and through me to will and do His good pleasure. (Phil 1:6, 2:13)

No comments: