Friday, January 6, 2012

A Real Witness


Genesis 19-21

Gen 19:14 "Lot went out and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were to marry his daughters, and said, 'Up, get out of this place, for the LORD will destroy the city.' But he appeared to his sons-in-law to be jesting."

"To be jesting..." Wow. Yesterday, I was so sick that I let my YouVersion App read me the day's reading. As I listened to the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, I heard this verse read aloud. It struck me. Those sons-in-law listened to someone with a warning of impending doom and they thought it was a joke and laughed it off. Lot was offering salvation, but the way it came across was funny, lighthearted and joking.

Then, I thought about Christians today sharing the gospel. How are we sharing the gospel? Are we sharing it similar to how Lot did? Is it done in a way that people take it lightly? Is it something that we make light of? Is it something in which people just think we're being funny or jesting?

What an incredible moment. Those sons could have been saved from immanent destruction, and even potentially eternal destinations had they heeded Lot's warning. What did Lot say? How did he say it? It made an impact on those boys... They walked away not understanding the severity of the news.

Now, do we understand that we carry news more dire than Lot? Do we understand that we possess an alternative with even greater salvation than Lot? Are we letting our neighbors, friends and family know? And maybe more important, how are we sharing the gospel? When people think about us and the gospel, is it a joke or is it a sincere offer of life to those facing condemnation? 

This story in Scripture has really made me think about not only how seriously we take sharing the gospel, but also how seriously we are taken in doing so! I just know I don't want to be heard like Lot! There's too much at stake!



No comments: