Thursday, January 5, 2012

Is Anything Too Difficult for the Lord?

Genesis 16-18


I am relieved to know my God can make possible those things which are either impossible or most improbable. Sarai (newly named Sarah) laughed when she heard God say that she would bear a son at the age of 91! I would have probably laughed too! Thinking of my own family, I can't imagine our great grandmother having another child! That would not only be really weird, but probably a great scare on her health. Yet God, even when (humorously) offered alternatives to His plan, definitely reiterates His promise of the covenanted biological son.

This got me to thinking about my own life. I can be so rational and practical that I wonder how many times I have unconsciously laughed off the impossible God wants to do. We live in a society where miracles are seemingly few and far between and typically viewed with much skepticism when reported. We'd rather rationalize them, explain them in terms of medicine or even sheer luck. But is the Christian really to think that way? The answer must be no.

Time and time again in Scripture, God uses the miraculous to display Himself not only to His people but the watching world. He will use miracles to counter culture, defy rationale and even bless and encourage His people.

The reality of Scripture is that we have a miracle-working God! When we are walking in faith we must be looking for the impossible to be made possible. Why? When God does something we can't attribute to ourselves, we don't get the credit, instead He does! And God loves to get the credit... BECAUSE it's always His anyway whether we attempt to claim it or not.

I want to live a life of faith that let's God be magnified in my life. If I can explain everything in my life in terms of me, then how much faith and how much God-activity am I living out and seeking in my life?

It's a tough question. But I must remember that there is nothing too difficult for my Lord! It is my prayer that I live out that truth, that all who would see me, would see the evidence of my God! For He alone deserves the credit and praise for anything good in or done through me.


No comments: