Tuesday, January 3, 2012

God Remembers

Genesis 8-11

My wife and I joke about how bad my memory is already becoming. She will mention events, people or places to me and I will have almost no recollection of them. It's not good. I have already forgotten tons of details, and as time continues on I find myself forgetting even some of the bigger moments I've experienced!

Today's reading opened with "But God remembered...". What a incredible thought; God didn't forget Noah adrift in that ark. He did not leave him there to finish what He had started. God doesn't start the process and never finish it. God led Noah and his family all the way through this ark "salvation." God remembered them, called them forth out of the ark (8:15) and then capped it off with a promise to never forget by entering an everlasting covenant with creation (9:16).

And still these truths apply today. God is still in the remembering business. He remembers us, even as we struggle at times to stay afloat in this world. Philippians 1:6 reminds us that He who began the good work in us will bring it to completion! What a wonderful thought for those of us who have, by faith, gotten into the Ark of God's salvation, Jesus Christ. We are never abandoned to complete what God started. He will complete it. He will never leave us, nor forsake us. God will remember us. And as Noah received an everlasting covenant promising him safety from further physical judgment, so we have received a eternal promise of no condemnation for those who are in Christ (Romans 8:1).

But here's the icing on the cake, He remembers, not just because He's God. That's not what Gen 8:1 is referring to; He remembers because He cares! This is a reference to His compassion, not His omniscience. He has set His affection on His people and He loves us. We remember the things we love and hold dear. God remembers us because He loves us so much.

I joke about my memory, but one thing I pray I never forget is that my God has not just rescued me, but continues to rescue me and love me until that day when I step, not back onto dry land to try over, but I step through eternity to dwell in His very presence, perfectly delivered by His grace and love! God remembers us.

No comments: