Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Christian Mind

Genesis 1-3

If you've ever come to this blog before, you may (or may not) notice a slight change in its subtitle. I used to call this blog "My thoughts on His Word." But as I have been reflecting on things, I have made a subtle reverse in the order that makes all the difference in the world... It is now called "His Word on My Thoughts."

Reading over my first title with fresh eyes, I realized it could possibly sound as if I believed myself to stand in judgment of the Scriptures, but I have come to know, even more so now, that I desperately need the exact opposite to be true!

Why? Simple. Just read these first several chapters of Genesis and you'll see why... So many of the fundamental issues at stake in our culture have answers that lie in the opening pages of our Bible. Century after century, man continues to attempt to answer all of life's questions: creation, marriage, our relation to the earth, the reason for sinful behavior and even the problem of evil. But as the Bible reminds us, without Christ and without God's Word, the thoughts of man are not just ever-changing but always continuously flawed.

Proverbs 14:12 says it this way... "There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death." What a horrible thought! Such a graphic depiction. But it's not in Scripture once, it is repeated in Proverbs 16:25 verbatim! Twice God uses the identical words, warning His creation to listen not to themselves, but instead lean on Him (cp. Proverbs 3:5-6).

So, as I approach Scripture this year it is my prayer that it is His Word, even from these opening chapters, that will inform my thoughts. It is not my position to take authority over God's point of view, but rather to allow it to rightly inform my own. It is my prayer that I do what Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 10:5. "We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ."

I desire the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16).


No comments: