Thursday, April 30, 2009

John 16

It's been a while since I've posted but I just had to post this morning after I read this chapter... Something hit me this morning as I read. John 16:7 says, "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you."

What a wild thought: we are better off without Christ still here! I mean, think about it. Christ, after his resurrection, now victor over death, could have remained on earth and presented Himself to all people throughout time as the Messiah. Yet, He himself says that it is better that He leave!

It is more advantageous for us that we are sent the Holy Spirit, than to have Christ sitting beside us! I've always heard excuses like, "Well if Jesus were alive today (physically on earth!), following Him would be a lot easier! Life would be a lot easier. Belief would be a lot easier."

Yet Christ is adamant that by going away a better situation would be possible. How is that possible?! Here's a couple things to consider.

First, we so often overlook the importance and impact of the Spirit that we forget that it is because of Him that salvation is applied. God the Father was the mastermind of salvation, Christ bought salvation and the Spirit applies salvation. Because of the Spirit we have the regeneration of our inner man (1 Cor 5:17). This was not a reality until the day of Pentecost, the day the Spirit was given to the Church. We can not overestimate this incredible work in our lives.

Second, we have multiplicity with the indwelling Spirit, whereas Christ on earth is a wonderful thought, his physical presence could never minister simultaneously to all believers around the world, whereas the Spirit living in each of us can!

Third, a physical Christ could diminish God's calling and intimacy with the Church. The Church was given the ministry of reconciliation and discipleship. I could see how we could easily become stagnant if Christ were among us. We'd let Him do everything, and our worship would have the strong possibility of becoming idol worship, worshiping the man rather than the God. Instead, empowered by the Holy Spirit, we get to see God work in and through us. He remains a mystery, Someone we can not contain, yet so personal that we can sense His leadership daily in our lives.

What a master plan! What a Master's plan! Next time you think you've got it rough, just remember the blessing of the Holy Spirit and praise God for the wonderful gift of His presence in your life!

No comments: