Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mark 6

"Jesus said to them, 'A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and among his own relatives and in his own household.'" (Mark 6:4)

Ever wondered why it is so hard to witness to those closest to you? The reason is found in these words of Christ above! Mark comments just afterwards that Jesus "wondered at their unbelief."

For me, sharing with family and friends is hard because they know me! They have seen me in good and in bad. They have seen me right and very wrong. And I think to myself, "What right do I have to speak? They know that at times I have lived contrary to these truths and how I still struggle to implement so many of them. What weight do my words carry?"

I find some conciliation in Christ's words. He had a perfect past and they still doubted. His words were of perfect theology yet they still questioned. Christ was limited, but guess what? There were still some who believed and were healed.

Speaking to absolute strangers, we have no history. We need make no excuses. We can come and present the gospel without our baggage thrown back at us. It is easier. We may never see these people again. Share and run! Get them saved and flee.

Uhmm... but I can't help but think that God knew what He was doing when He put me in my family and among my friends. We are called to be a light and a testimony. They may not all believe, but it is our responsibility to do the best we can to demonstrate the reality of the gospel to them in word and, as best we can, in deed. Never forget this, the gospel is for sinners. You were a sinner and indeed you may still struggle with some sins; that does not negate the gospel though. The gospel must be weighed by its own merits. Even if an mass murder came up to you and said, "2 + 2 =4" we could not reject the truth of his words! The same is true for Christianity. The words are not true because the messenger perfectly applies them, they are true because of the Messenger Who first brought them to us, Christ. Keep sharing!

But I want to add this as well. Maybe too often we give higher credence to one about whom we know so little because we can fill in the blanks as we would have them filled in. Someone we know well may have a harder time speaking into our life. With a stranger, it is our chance to place our hope and trust in them until they prove otherwise.

A new pastor can take advantage of this. Whatever his previous challenges, coming to a new church gives him a chance to start fresh with a new congregation. His words are new and powerful, and I think God uses this tendency for His purposes. So often in Scripture humanity is described as sheep without a shepherd (cf. Mark 6:34); they long for an ideal leader who speaks rightly and administers justice. Well, the reality is... salvation is not found in any man whether you know his past or not. Salvation only comes through The Ideal Leader, Jesus.

Be careful when you put your trust in the words of a man you hardly know, but also be careful not to discredit too quickly the words of one you know well. Realize that we all play this game and continue to share whether as a dear friend, husband or child or as a complete stranger. The truth is God will use you and who knows who around you He will save because of your faithfulness to His call.

Be amazed potentially at your rejection, but do not be dejected because God is alive and well. Then ask yourself this, if my witness is so powerless with those that best know me, is there something wrong with my witness? An honest question and it necessitates an honest investigation.

No comments: